Over the last two weeks in class, we have had an opportunity to hear from Pastor Larry Evans and Steve Barnes in our series "Prayer, What's the Big Deal?" Both offered many important reminders about the importance of prayer in our daily lives.
Two week ago Larry reminded us about the Power we have at our fingertips in this gift of prayer.
1. God himself has promised to work with us when we pray.
2. The early church relied on prayer for everything. (Acts 1:7-14)
3. God used their prayer to turn small things into big displays of his great power.
4. Prayer released the power of the Holy Spirit in the church. (Acts 2)
5. Prayer changes those around us.
We were left with this question: What does our life look like? A grain silo or a grain elevator? Are we failing to pray and hoarding the very power God wants to release through us or are we praying and distributing the power of God to change the lives of people around us?
Last week we were reminded by Steve of some of the important aspects of a powerful prayer life.
1. Go to our closet to pray where we will find God in "his" secret place (Matt 6:6)
2. Know God's will through his Spirit when we pray
(work, healing, strength, knowledge, salvation)
3. Understand God's compassion when we pray (Matt 14:14, Heb. 4:15)
4. Be bold in approaching the throne room of God when we pray (Hebrews 4:14-16)
5. Remain humble remembering God is in control. (Luke 18:1-14)
Next week, Skip Jenkins will look to address the very difficult question that we have all asked at some point in our lives.
"What About Unanswered Prayer?"
You won't want to miss this one. See you there.