Thursday, April 7, 2011

Something DOES Happen

“And whatever things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive.” –Matthew 21:22


I could never be a Buddhist or a Muslim, and certainly never an atheist. I guess I’m spoiled, because I’m used to praying to my God, and then something happening. Mohammed can’t answer my prayers, he can’t heal my body. Buddha, while giving me comfort about my physical stature, has never seen me through a trial. And believing there is no God, or possibly worse, that I am a god, in and of myself? Now that’s a terrifying thought!

As a Christian, I’ve seen clear, miraculous, and undeniably God-wrought answers to prayer: people healed of “incurable” cancer, deliveries from addictions, and financial provisions when our storehouses were empty. The common denominator is that Christians were united in prayer. They were all in one accord, even if they couldn’t all be in one place.

That’s where the secret to our power lies. When God’s people unite in prayer, there is no end to what God will do. We’ve been pressing forward as a church, in a concerted prayer effort, with expectation. Jesus said if we have faith so much as a tiny mustard seed, we can cast mountains into the sea. Imagine if two or three, ten, a hundred such hearts of faith united in prayer and purpose! What can we achieve? What obstacle can we not overcome?

When we pray, our God hears from His throne, He answers, and He moves in our lives and in the lives of those for whom we pray. Something happens because we serve a God who is alive and powerful! He’s not trapped in a dusty old tomb. His Spirit’s not trapped in a rat or a cow. He is real, and He hears the prayers and the praises of His children. And when He hears His children call his name, something happens.

By John Garrod

No comments:

Post a Comment